Friday, May 16, 2008

Veepstakes Continued...

The Hill recently asked all 97 senators not running for president the same question: “If you were asked, would you accept an offer to be the vice presidential nominee ?” It's clear that some clearly take themselves too seriously while others provide a good laugh. Some responses:

John Barrasso (R-Wyo. ) “We already have a vice president from Wyoming. So we’ll have to see if Sen. McCain asks me to chair his selection committee. That seems to work well. It certainly seemed to work well for the last guy from Wyoming.”

Evan Bayh (D-Ind. ) “It’s presumptuous to even speculate about that kind of thing. But I suspect that’s not the sort of thing you say no to.”

Bob Bennett (R-Utah ) “Of course. Big house, big car, not much to do. Why not ?”

Tom Carper (D-Del. ) “Yes. Sign me up. I’ve been kidding people for years: The hours are better, the wages are just as good — who ever heard of a vice president getting shot at ? — and it’s a great opportunity to travel.”

John Cornyn (R-Texas ) “I’m running for reelection to the United States Senate … Is anybody saying no ? If asked, I would have to respectfully consider it. How’s that ?”

Larry Craig (R-Idaho ) “I would say, ‘ No, Hillary. ’”

Chris Dodd (D-Conn. ) “Never say no. You always have to give it some thought. It depends who asks you, too.”

Byron Dorgan (D-N. D. ) “Are you kidding ? Every senator would accept that offer. My guess is that almost every senator looks at themselves in the mirror in the morning and sees either a future president or vice president.”

Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif. ) “Of course. I think anybody would.”

Lindsey Graham (R-S. C. ) “I have said that John needs to pick someone that he feels comfortable with and will help him win in the fall. I like him, and I feel comfortable with him. But I think there are other portfolios that help more than I do.”

Judd Gregg (R-N. H. ) “No. I don’t like going to funerals.”

Tom Harkin (D-Iowa ) “No, I’d have Jon Stewart stand in for me. Jon Stewart. That’s my guy.”

James Inhofe (R-Okla. ) “No. I enjoy life too much.”

Edward Kennedy (D-Mass. ) “I plan to stick with my current job until I get the hang of it.”

Joe Lieberman (I-Conn. ) “Once is enough. I already have the T-shirt and I’m proud of it. I yield to my colleagues.”

Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark. ) “I have not considered it. It’s a hypothetical I don’t need to answer. I’m not going to play ‘ What if. ’”

Barbara Mikulski (D-Md. ) “Absolutely. Absolutely. I think I would be great. First of all, I know how to behave at weddings and funerals. And I know how to be commander in chief. I’d bring a lot of fun to the job. We would rock the Naval Observatory.”

Bill Nelson (D-Fla. ) “If Hillary’s the nominee, Barack will be the running mate. If Barack’s the nominee, Hillary will be the running mate. That’s my answer.”

Mark Pryor (D-Ark. ) “They can do a lot better than me. I just don’t see it happening. I don’t know what I’d bring to the ticket. I’d have to think about it. I don’t see how I would add much to the ticket. To give you an honest answer, I don’t know what I’d do.”

Pat Roberts (R-Kan. ) “No. I don’t cut ribbons well or give eulogies at funerals.”

Arlen Specter (R-Pa. ) “Absolutely not.”

Ted Stevens (R-Alaska ) “No. I’ve got too many things that I still want to do as a senator. And I don’t like the idea of a job where you sit around and wait for someone to die.”

Ron Wyden (D-Ore. ) “I have a unique perspective on this. I am the only senator to have announced I am not running for president, because there should be someone here to serve as the Senate’s designated driver. I intend to stay in that position.”

Sens. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) and Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) said they’d have to check with their wives first.

Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.), who at 90 is the chamber’s oldest member, noted that his job as president pro tempore already allows him to preside over the Senate just as Cheney does as Senate president. “And I do not enjoy spending a lot of time at ‘undisclosed locations.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

some of the senators are so funny! (also, hah...larry craig as anyone's vice president...good thing he made a (not funny) joke instead of earnestly replying).

love mikulski's response.